Welcome Friends and Family

Come and share my Blogging experience with me. I look forward to your comments, and thoughts.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

ER: The Entertainment of

I would prefer never to set foot into an Emergency Room, but if I have to be there, I will be entertained.  You see it all there.  The very sick, the not even sick, the drunk and disorderly, the injured, the lonely, the lost.  Let's not forget that significant group of young men who don't know what size clothes they wear.  I wanted so bad to act out that cartoon that was recently circulated, the old woman who said to the young man wearing pants with the waist that was cinched at his knees, a shirt that was made for Paul Bunyon, "You must be so proud to have lost so much weight."  That's hysterical in a cartoon, but in real life to say that, it's suicidal.  I kept my mouth shut, but my brain was frantic with comments.

My favorite group for entertainment was the Italian family who had set up camp in the corner.  I mention their ethnic background, not as a slur against them, but as is necessary to define them as the family in the corner.  They were obviously ER frequent flyers.  They came prepared.  Pops, who was the patient, was connected to an IV bag, which was hooked on a pole.  The daughter, probably my age, maybe a few years older, had a large bag containing a laptop, a Tablet, and various other items.  Her son, I'm sure his name was Joey, named after Papa Joe, was equally prepared with his laptop, iphone, mega headphones, which he wore on his head, but not quite on his ears.

The daughter set Pops up with her laptop and a card game.  She set across from him with her Tablet and her flip phone.  I had to love that.  She must be of the same mindset as me.  Not paying for the internet on some smartphone that I don't understand.  The grandson, Joey, he was rocking to the music he was hearing through his head, not his ears, and playing a video game.  He was probably early to mid twenties.

The card game ended, and Pops didn't know how to start another game, so the daughter puts down her Tablet, gets the laptop from Pops, and starts touching the screen trying to get it to work.  She gets frustrated, mutters under her breath, then realizes it's her laptop, not the tablet.  Laughs about it, uses the mouse pad, then promptly tries to get things to work by touching the screen.  Gets the game started, hands the laptop back to Pops, and picks up her tablet again.

Sets her tablet down, and starts rummaging through her Mary Poppins bag.  I really thought she would pull out a floor lamp before the evening was over.  Much to my disappointment, she never did.  She whips out a fan, flips it open, and starts fanning herself.  Her son never notices.  Must happen all the time at home, especially if she thinks to keep one in her Mary Poppins bag.  Probably has the a/c on all year round while everyone else in the house walks around in arctic temperature rated clothing.  She picks up her tablet, flips her hair off her forehead, and fans herself at a steady rate.  Pops looks up, watches her, says "What's a madda with you?"  She looks up, flips her hair of her forehead again, and says, "I'm having a moment, Pops." To which he replies, "Huh", and back to the card game he goes.

Ah, the circle of life.....

No comments:

Post a Comment